Honoring over 135 years of serving Minnesota’s vulnerable children and 35 years as a foundation with this mission, Sheltering Arms Foundation continues its ongoing grantmaking partnership with Episcopal faith communities. This small program offers grants up to $1,000 to Minnesota Episcopal congregations supporting their efforts in building potential for vulnerable children.
Kinds of projects funded: We will support projects that help faith communities improve the lives of vulnerable children and youth. This could be a program run by the congregation on behalf of its own children, should they fall into that category or a program doing outreach to children/youth in need. The funds could also support advocacy efforts within the community on behalf of vulnerable children.
Examples include: a tutoring program for young English learners, a nursery run by a congregation for low-income children, an effort to educate a congregation about children’s issues at the legislature or a teen service program to benefit children in need.
Timeline: Applications are due April 13, 2018. Grant recipients will be notified in May. Grant payments are distributed in July. Eligible projects will occur between July 2018 – June 2019.
Preferences: Preference is given to those that have not yet received Sheltering Arms funding but the Foundation will consider requests from previous applicants for a second-year request. Preference is also given to projects/programs that have at least one other funding source, evidence of parish volunteer and financial commitment.
The following criteria are required for funding consideration:
- All grant requests must have a program budget (showing all sources of funding/expenses)
- All grant requests must be signed by the Senior Warden or Priest.
- The parish must be located in and provide services within the state of Minnesota.
- One grant request per parish.
How to apply for funding: Please submit a 1-2 page letter describing your project.
The letter should identify the following:
- Contact information including name, address, phone and e-mail
- Parish Federal Tax-Id number
- A description of the program goals, the children served, those involved in carrying out the project; and the outcomes you intend to accomplish
- A brief budget identifying the sources of income and expenditures for the project
- Upon receiving a grant from Sheltering Arms a signed grant agreement must be returned to the Foundation before the grant award is received.
- Upon completion of the project, a brief report will be submitted to the Foundation.
Deadline: The grant request is due April 1, 2019
Submission: Please submit your grant request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions: Call (612) 871-9210 or email email@example.com