2020 Legislative Agenda
The Sheltering Arms Foundation advocates for policies that support:
Affordable, high-quality, flexible and culturally appropriate early childhood care and education to support families and prepare children to be ready for kindergarten.
- Fully support Parent Aware to continue expansion of high quality learning throughout Minnesota and to provide for rated providers. Parent Aware should put a priority on stronger recognition and incorporation of cultural competency.
- Ongoing focus on ensuring that families most in need can access high quality learning and care programs that meet the needs of the entire family. This includes defending and expanding early learning scholarships for children birth to five and advocating for full federal conformity for the Child Care Assistance Program.
- Defending previous gains and expand access to high quality targeted home visiting to support healthy parent-child development, starting prenatally.
- Support expansion of early childhood mental health consultation services.
- Support early childhood provider skill development and workforce growth.
High quality, developmentally and culturally appropriate out-of-school-time and mentoring programs for Minnesota children.
- Support Ignite Afterschool’s campaign to create a new funding stream of $25 million/year that will provide afterschool and summer learning programs for an additional 25,000 young people eligible for free and reduced lunch by funding competitive grants to afterschool and summer learning programs.
- Support youth worker skill development opportunities and workforce growth.
Our policy agenda was developed to align with our collective impact partners Start Early Funders Coalition and Ignite Afterschool.